Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Blog I love Libraries

I was thinking of my history with libraries the other night when I couldn't sleep.  How far back does it go?  Childhood.  I remember walking to the library by myself.  What a reality moment.  I just mapquested how far I had walked each week thinking it was at least 15-20 minutes.  The library is only a half mile away from my old house and they figure 11 minutes walking.   Oh those memories!  Maybe it did take me 20 minutes; 8 year old legs, pulling barberry leaves off the bushes as I sauntered along to form little maroon roses.  And of course the other wonder is did I really as an 8 year old go without an adult? I am sure I did for "those days" 1/2 mile was nothing.   I remember carrying large picture books and then later as I got older the Bobbsey Twins series. My own first library card was a treasure.  I felt so adult when I handed it over to the lady as my head barely met the top of the counter.  And so my love affair with books and the library began early.

For a number of years I had been delivering books to the homebound as a volunteer every two weeks until my hip started really acting up 5 months ago.  Another gentlemen began to share the visits giving us each once a month joy.  Two months ago I had to let go of it all together and missed being with the cheerful people at our LaGrangePark Library.  When I would pop in to pick up my books, folks would ask how I was doing and their caring reminded me of what a great enviroment I was missing.  After talking with several ladies who organize the volunteers I decided on an in-house job where I wouldn't have to be hauling heavy bags of books and getting in and out of my car which was quite painful.

Once a week for 1 and 1/2 hours  I am now replacing broken cd containers, a behind the scenes job that  I never gave any thought to when taking out a cd.  I am amazed at the number of cases that need replacing.  For the past two weeks I have cleaned by machine some cd's that were scratched, and relabeled about 40 cd cases.  I do love learning but can't say that I jump into experiences readily.  It takes a forced situation for me.  This is a case where my present infirmity is gifting me and I am grateful to be of help for others.  When is the last time you were in your library?  mjk    

No comments:

Post a Comment