Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blog Abandonment Feeling

I was talking with a friend this a.m. and I heard myself say to her, "Philip has fired me."  I laughed and said, "not really but..."  With that she asked if she could call me back, she was checking out of a grocery store.  During those interim moments I sat with what I had just said to her.  It sounded so strong.  "What feelings are beneath this,?" I asked myself.  What do I feel?  Who has he been for me?
I have felt supported by him,  going through this 4 month manual physical therapy with him, along with 2 MRI's  a Ct Scan, and X-Rays.  He has helped me enormously by listening, teaching me, and  giving me input as well as stretches to strengthen my left leg which lost mobility as a result of my left hip arthritis and pain.  He recommended a Cortisone shot which I had done 2 weeks ago.  It has given me 50% pain relief for which I am most grateful.  So yesterday when I saw him he said, "Okay, this is my assessment.  You are at a point where the ball is in your court (he knows I love tennis).  There isn't much I can do anymore.  You are the one now that will have to do the work, continued stretches, treadmill, and icing 3x day.  I still want to see you once a week for a couple weeks just to check on your progress but what I would have you do here, you can do at home or at the gym.  I knew this day would come but I didn't expect the feelings to be so strong,

As I sat waiting for my friend to call back, I asked myself what feelings I was experiencing.  I knew I felt supported by him so I thought since I won't see him I don't feel supported.  "That's not true," I said to myself.  I can call him at anytime and he will be there.  What is it?  Abandonment feeling came to the surface immediately.  It was right there and with tears.  When I was 14 my mom died and I felt abandoned.  That seems to be a core feeling that comes up periodically.  So I sat with the feeling, letting the tears come  and then thought about my slight runny nose I developed an hour after I left his new office.  I thought it might have been a chemical reaction which I sometimes have to new carpeting and paint.  So I took an allergy pill.  My nose continued to run the rest of the night until this a.m.

After I talked with my friend for the second time, she affirmed my feelings (she knows my history).  I then mentioned the runny nose and suggested maybe it is from grieving this change.  She also is a great listener and thought it was possible.

Our conversation was 3 hours ago and I am delighted to say my nose is no longer running and I am grateful for getting to the bottom of this feeling and the willingness to sit and acknowledge it during my prayer time,  as well as write about it now.  I use to be ashamed to share my feelings.  Growth can be most freeing.  I know that God is always with me but there are times that I need "God with skin on."  And so I say, thank you God for all the people you put in my path who love me and encourage me to let my light shine.  mjk

No comments:

Post a Comment