Saturday, January 19, 2013

Blog Admitting to another compulsion!

We went to one of my favorite places last week, Morton Arboretum.  The second favorite place is their gift shop.  Now I am not a shopper unless I need something but everytime we go to the Arboretum I am compelled to wander thru their treasures. It is like an artist date for me.  I love the creative way they have everything displayed as well as the selections.  Their prices are a litttle...bit high but every once in a while I am willing to part with my carefully guarded coins for a good cause.

I admit to a huge weakness for working jigsaw puzzles. This love was unearthed in my being as a young person when the day after Thanksgiving or it may even have been thanksgiving night, as a family we would bring out a puzzle and collectively work it.  I don't remember who sat there with me other than it was a great way to recreate the picture on the box, piece by piece and have conversation. I use to go to Ben Franklin's 5&10c store (anyone remember that name?) and get some inexpensive ones, 250, 300 pieces eventually working up to 500.  500 pieces!  I thought that was an incredible accomplishment.  Years later and I mean years... for I was too busy with babies, word got out about my childhood love of puzzles and people would give them to me as gifts.  After I received a Springbok puzzle I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  I love them for their vivid colors as well as for the strength of the pieces.
Eventully, after our basement was paneled, I use to work them, glue them and then hang them in our spacious basement.  As I walked down to do the laundry in our basement, a smile would spread across my face as I looked at the colorful pictures which reminded me of an art collection.   It has been probably 20 years when I took them down so I can't remember what they all were other than a gumball machine containing colorful jawbreaker bubble gum, and an astronaut and his space vehicle. Later began the shaped puzzles.  Round!  There was a fabulous green background with a variety of wild mushrooms, another was a mouth watering pizza picture; wow the memory is kicking in, and even  a three D castle. And now to the present time,  a few years ago my most accomplished one is a butterfly shaped puzzle of butterflies in a garden. It is fabulous.  After gluing it  I had it mounted and it is hanging in one of the bedrooms upstairs.

I have been known to state, "the greatest job for me would be to be paid to work a puzzle."  I can get lost in the process as well as compulsively staying up later than is healthy.  After working two or three hours, there will be times I say to myself, "okay, when I find this piece I will quit!"  After finding the piece sometimes I will go to bed and yes, I confess there are times  I will not honor my statement and continue for another half hour.  I love having a puzzle in process to come to when I can't sleep.  There is nothing as satisfying as coming downstairs (to our newly finished basement after water damage) and being greeted by an array of puzzle pieces that need help finding their home.

My justification (why I need that I don't know) in buying them now is that I am beginning to share them with others.  YEAH!   Can you believe this blog began as a result of me opening up a new puzzle 30 minutes ago that I purchased from the Arboretum last week.  1000 pcs. of repetitive, colorful spring flowers.  I may have to call my wonderful, older, English neighbor who also loves puzzles and flowers. Anyone else want to join us?    mjk

No comments:

Post a Comment