Monday, January 21, 2013

Blog Great Hospitality

Don and I love to go to Blueberry Hill Restaurant on Sunday morning.  If we get there at 8:30 a.m. we can usually get right in but 8:45 a.m. the churches in the area end their service and the restaurant begins to fill up, but the staff works quickly and efficiently with a smile, an example taken from the owners.  Along with the friendliness, what we love about the restaurant is of course their GREAT food for our taste beginning with Don's weekly favorite: PUMPKIN PANCAKES with a side of cream cheese sauce and of course it wouldn't be a complete breakfast without his side of fresh strawberries and bottomless cups of coffee which they are most attentive to serving.  (Don doesn't drink coffee at home. Sometimes I tease him commenting that I think he orders coffee so he can have the variety of flavored creams which he so loves).   Me:  I usually have an egg whites Veggie omlette, or veggie skillet but this week I ordered a seafood egg whites omlette.  Next week I will go back to my veggie order.  Another bonus of eating there is the gift of having half of my breakfast the next day.  Their portions are huge!

But I am digressing.  What caught my attention this week while I was waiting for our order was Chris, one of the owners, walking around holding this darling one year old baby girl (I overheard her age).  Chris may be in his 40's.  He and his wife Denise are the epitome of friendliness. Always a smile on their faces.  The regulars are greeted by him with a kiss on the cheek for the women and a hand shake for the men.  The new people are greeted with his wide smile and question of "how many?" Keep in mind Sunday morning is one of their busiest times so they also have a male cousin and two young girls working the reservations and seating.   During lulls, when Chris isn't helping with the seating he goes around and talks to people at the tables.  I also overheard Chris say that the mother couldn't eat and hold her baby at the same time so Chris came to the rescue.  He amazes me with his friendliness.   He was  holding that little one so tenderly.  At Mass the night before Father was talking about using our gifts.  As I watched Chris and later his wife greet, welcome and invite everyone into their restaurant it was like they were welcoming us into their home.  What a wonderful example for me as I think of our parish and the new ministry of greeters.  I also want to be as genuine and warm.  What gift of joy do YOU bring to others?  mjk 

No comments:

Post a Comment