Monday, January 7, 2013

Life with humor

Life and it's humor.
I was going to make a smoothie the other night. After checking whether I had all the ingredients, I went into the cabinet to get down the blender.  Not there!  In the back of my mind I remembered that I toyed with the idea of giving it away.  Not sure that I had, I looked in several other cabinets and didn't find it.  Darn it!  I had to settle for having yogurt with a cut up mango, not quite as delicious as the blueberries, banana's, mango's, vanilla and ginger that I heard was a healthy ingredient.
As I was eating my yogurt I asked my husband to help me remember to get a new blender the next time we were out.  I had priced them during the holidays and was overwhelmed with all the choices.  Life was so much simpler years ago.
While we were out shopping yesterday, replacing an 8"frying pan that was suppose to be stick-free, Don asked me if I wanted to look at blenders.  Bless his heart and memory!  Before we let our helpful salesman leave I asked him if he had any opinions on blenders.  "Sure.  Follow me, they are right over here."  He pointed out two particular ones mentioning their benefits and asked what we wanted it for.
We decided on the cheaper Oster that he recommended.  As we left he asked me why I got rid of it.  "It was 40 years old...plus the white base had turned yellow.  Who wants a yellowed appliance on their lovely kitchen counter...okay the counter is seven years old but looks like new.  
Today I took the blender out of the box, washed it and placed the beautiful stainless steel base with the glass top on our white, brown, black speckled counter.  It looked lovely.  Don came home, put the banana's on the banana hanger (another modern treat to myself three years ago). He turned to me and asked, "I thought you said you threw out the blender."  "I did!"  "Well, what is this?"  I looked to the counter and couldn't believe my eyes.  On the counter was the sparkling new blender, the banana hanger and next to the banana's was the old yellowed blender.  I was flabbergasted!  Talk about people seeing what they want to see or getting use to items.  I laughed and laughed.  I still have a hard time believing that it was sitting one item away from the sparkling new blender.
The yellowed blender now has a new home in the bag of donation items.  Life is so full of fun when I allow myself to see the humor.   mjk

No comments:

Post a Comment